Wednesday 11 January 2012

sarissa precision heroic old west shack review part two



So, my Shack is built, minus the window frames and door. How do I feel about it?

Well, I like think it's rather cute.  I really like the etching on the surfaces that provides texture and decoration and make this model good enough to use without painting (more of which later).








The roof is removable so the interior is useable (Unless you glue it down) though it's rather plain inside, but it is useable.















I'm looking forward to trying it in a game.  I think it will make a very nice atmospheric piece of terrain.
If I have one problem with it it's that it's almost too smart.  I think I'd like to 'weather' it a little.  The odd raised or missing roof tile, a plank missing from the back or side wall.  I'd like to see it a bit run down.  I have to say though that I suspect that I wont do this myself as I'm a sucker for not damaging things I've bought, even in a constructive way.  We'll see, I may have a go.

The next question I was wondering about, when I bought this, was how well would it fit with Malifaux?  I was pretty sure that the standard 28mm Old West models wouldn't be suitable but these Heroic ones might be more suitable as I think they have larger scale features, doors etc..
bearing in mind that I haven't yet fitted the door and window frames here are a few pictures.
Lady Justice seems OK, a little large maybe, or at least a little high, but I think this is due to the scenic base she's on.  without the base she'd probably be fine.




Also Perdita here, I've stuck on a big rock, so she looks a little tall for the shack, but that's not the shacks fault.










Large models may not be able to fit under the roof of the porch, and there's not enough room for a 40mm base on the porch.  This executioners claw is just too high to fit under the front of the roof, but maybe that's a good reason to keep it removable?





















I was also a little worried about how it would fit with other bits that I use as terrain at the moment.  Games Workshop LOTR ruins for instance.

Thematically I'm aware that they're quite different, but I was worried they might not look right together size wise, but I think they're OK.  The ruins seem a little larger, but, as they're completely different styles of building I don't think it matters.

To Glue or not to Glue, that is the question?  Apart from the window and door frames it is possible to leave this kit unglued so that it may be taken apart and stored flat between games.  This is good news if you are short of storage.  However, I'm not sure how much repeated taking apart and putting together again this may take.  Already one of the tabs on mine is showing signs of wear, though this is probably due to my cack handedness.  Also, when not glued, although the fit is very good, the porch roof is easily moved out of position and I noticed that when I took the roof off it didn't hold together especially well.
I think either option is fine, depending on your needs, but I think I'm going to glue mine.  I will definitely be glueing the roof together as one piece though will always leave it so that it may be removed from the building.

To Paint or not to paint, that is the question?  I like how this shack looks out of the box (or bag).  With this Shack all readily visible surfaces are textured apart from porch roof supports and under the roof where visible.  So I'm seriously tempted to leave it as is.  In fact, I'm going to leave it unless I either come up with a paint scheme I can't do without, or have a go at weathering the Shack, in which case I may paint to disguise any damage I may do.

Overall then I think this is an excellent piece of scenery at a decent price, good value for money.  It was dispatched reasonably quickly and packaged well enough, it's quick and relatively easy to put together and doesn't need to be painted, though you might like to.  I will most certainly be buying some more, just as soon as I'm able to resist using my monthly allowance for more Malifaux figures ;-)

Part 1 of the review

Sarrisa Precision Old West Heroic Range

(Previously published elsewhere January 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wayland